Tuesday, October 6, 2020

10.6.20 Foster of the Month- Meet Nichole




August 2020 FOSTER OF THE MONTH-

Meet Nichole!


How long have you been volunteering with Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

4+ years. I started fostering March of 2016.

Why did you start fostering for MPBR?

I didn’t have a dog and I wasn’t sure if I was ready. My adopted Grandma suggested I try fostering. Little did I know my life would forever be changed after that moment. I did some research and I knew one of my sister’s good friends fostered for MPBR. I didn’t really know anything about pit bulls and I never saw myself owning a pit bull. I always wanted a big fluffy dog like a German Shepperd, Golden Retriever, or a Siberian Husky. Now, I cannot imagine my life without a pit bull. I fell in love with the breed.

Who was your first foster?

Abby (pictured with me above)

When your friends/family find out you volunteer with MPBR, what do they say or ask?

Sometimes I get mixed feelings from my friends and family. Some of them think what I do is incredible, but some don’t know how I let them go or don’t understand. However, if I didn’t let them go, I wouldn’t be able to help the next ones. My permanent and temp fosters (and some I just pupsat for an event) have included Abby, Mick, Heath (for a few hours), Queenie, Porter (for a few hours), Mick, Maisey, Rhodes, Stark (for a few hours), Navel, Bacon, Link, Ted, Emery, and Truly. Obviously, I cannot have 14 dogs…. And I would not trade my time with Truly (my last foster) for anything. That is what keeps me going.



Emery & Bacon

Who is your current foster?

Indy & Poppy (they will be on their way to MN soon)

Do you have any pets?

Yes, I foster failed on Bacon. I foster failed hard to the point where I was e-mailing his case manager in tears over not being able to let him go.

Where is your favorite dog friendly place to take your pups? 

Home Depot and training (it is our date night). However, our favorite thing is walking with our friends that we have met through MPBR and training.

Bacon & Truly
Do you have a favorite memory with one of your fosters? 

My favorite memory was the first time Truly made the choice to cuddle up next to me. It was an incredible step for her, and it melted my heart. Otherwise, I always love the look on adopters faces when my foster is officially joining their home. It is bittersweet as they are leaving me but joining their family.












When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing? 

Currently, I am working from home. So, I am always surrounded by dogs. Bacon enjoys crawling into my lap halfway through the work day and bombing my zoom meetings.

Do you have a special tradition you do for your foster pups? 

I usually cry! Lol But, no, I do not have a special celebratory ritual after my fosters are adopted.

Do you want to give a special shout out to anyone in the rescue? 

Mike and Sue Sweeney have helped me immensely with any training-type questions I have with my fosters. They have been excellent resources. Melissa Graunke has helped a lot also with training-type questions or potential medical-type questions. Amanda, Ashley, Laura… there are too many people to name. I have enjoyed working with everyone involved with MPBR. It has been quite the journey and I have learned so much! 

..................................................................................................................................................

Each month one of our Foster parents will receive a gift card as a thank you. This is our small way of showing appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have to this rescue. Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue is 100% volunteer based. Each dog we can save is a result of someone willing to open their home for us.

Are you interested in becoming a Foster with MPBR? Click here for more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment