Saturday, September 19, 2020

9.19.20 Volunteer of the Month- Meet Rachel

 


August 2020 Volunteer of the Month- 

Meet Rachel!



How did you find out about Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

I have followed many pit bull rescues for several years both local and nationally. I started paying more attention to MPBR after some friends joined the organization around 2019. 


Why did you start volunteering for MPBR?

I have volunteered with other rescue organizations in the past. There are several great ones in Minnesota, but we were drawn to MPBR because of its dedication to the animals and its support of the fosters. I actually went to a few adoption events and asked some fosters about their experience. I got some really great feedback from the spy mission and felt comfortable joining an organization that values the people that are involved. 


How long have you been volunteering with the rescue?

About 6 months. 





What was the last thing you volunteered for?


I helped to get another foster pup to the vet. I didn’t know it at the time, but I was picking up a dog from another volunteer that had been able to temp a dog for me a few weeks prior. It just goes to show that everyone is working together to help each other and make it easier to foster/volunteer. 










Gabby
Do you have any pets of your own?

Yes. My entrance into pit bulls and rescues started with buying my first house and knowing that I wanted a rescue pit bull. After a few weeks of searching, my wife and I found Gabby. She was a 4-year-old pit bull that we found on Petfinder and it was clearly love at first sight. We met her at an adoption event and began the adoption process immediately because we thought someone would arrive and adopt her before we could. We found out later she had spent almost a year in rescue and had very few adoption prospects because she was an adult pit bull who was afraid of strangers due to a rough start in life. She made us realize how difficult life can be for rescue pitties and how amazing they can be. We started fostering with the rescue that we adopted her from less than year later. She is now 9 years old and living her best life. She is nervous around new dogs so fostering allows us to keep her social and allow her to have slow introductions to all her new doggy friends. 




How would your pets describe you? 

Gabby would probably describe me as being the perfect person to binge watch TV shows with since I get addicted to new shows quickly and try to watch as many episodes as fast as possible. I do take her on several walks, but I’m sure that she would complain that she doesn’t go on enough of them. She is always excited to go on walks and will hop up and run to the door as soon as she hears her leash jingle. 


Go Vikings!

WWhere's your favorite dog-friendly place to bring your dog? 

We love to camp and go for walks. Whitewater State Park and Temperance State Park are two of our favorites. 


When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing?

If I can’t find any dogs to hang out with then I am typically hiking, camping, fishing, seeing live sports, watching an entire season of a tv show or spending time with my nieces and nephews. 



  
Gabby & Tootsie
Do you have a favorite memory that happened while you were volunteering?

I have a favorite memory with every foster dog that I have interacted with since I started volunteering. All these dogs are so amazing and just need someone to advocate for them and show them love. One that sticks because of my history with my own dog was when I temp-fostered Tootsie for a week. She was pretty nervous, but really seemed to find comfort in having our dog around. They became lazy couch snoozers together. I remember looking over and noticing that Tootsie had fallen asleep with her head on Gabby’s stomach. It was such a pure moment of comfort between two dogs that had probably been through a lot finally feeling safe and loved. 


Do you have any advice for current or future volunteers?

Remember that loving the dogs is the easy part. The difficult part is all the behind the scenes work and coordination that goes on. It is amazing how great everyone has been to work with and how organized everything has been. Please be kind to the administrative staff and help out your fellow fosters if you can.  It really goes a long way towards making us new people feel the community support that is at work at MPBR. 





Do you want to give a shout out to anyone in the MPBR family?


Shout out to Laura for answering all my emails and being so amazing. Shout out to Wendy and Katie for helping us get involved with MPBR. 


............................................................................................................................................................


Each month an active volunteer is featured on our website & receives a gift (or gift card) as a thank you. This is just a small way for us to show our appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have for this rescue. We are 100% volunteer based and we couldn’t do this without each and every one of our members 

Interested in volunteering? Check out some info here

No comments:

Post a Comment