Thursday, March 5, 2020

3.5.20 Foster of the Month- Meet Margaret




FEBRUARY 2020 FOSTER OF THE MONTH-

Meet Margaret!





Tuti
Who was your first foster?

My first foster was Tuti - not even a pittie! She was from the Catahoula Leopard Dog litter that came from Dallas that MPBR took on when another Rescue had to back out at the last minute.

Who is your current foster?

I do not have a foster currently. My last foster was Phoebe who went to her furever home on February 15th. 💚💚💚

Why did you start fostering for MPBR?

I've had 2 dogs for many years and my husband has always said the limit was 2. So, when my Ella (boxer/pit mix) passed away in October of 2017, I decided to foster instead of adopting another dog. It's my way of having 2 dogs and be able to help rescue dogs find great homes.




How long have you been volunteering with Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

My volunteer days go back to 2011. I live in the Duluth area so I started just by doing what I could- mostly transport of dogs to/from the Twin Cities, home checks and transport of supplies to Duluth fosters. I still do those things and foster when I can.

When your friends/family find out you volunteer with MPBR, what do they say or ask?

Most of them ask what I can do when I'm in Duluth and the Rescue is in the Twin Cities. I tell them transport, foster, home checks, etc. I tell them that the rescue always needs help with something and then encourage them to help too. When I started fostering, EVERYONE asked "How can you give them up?" Admittedly it's hard to see them go, but I get to meet the Adopters and know that my foster will have a great home. Plus, if I kept one, with my 2-dog limit I wouldn't be able to foster anymore!

Otis & Phoebe
Do you have any pets?

Yes, one dog, our pittie that we adopted in January 2011 from MPBR named Otis (FKA Nate). He is a big goofball, lap dog, is spoiled rotten and everyone that meets him loves him! He's changed how a lot of people view pit bulls.

When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing? 

I love to travel so I take a few trips somewhere warm each year. I spend time with my kids and grand-kids who are in Eau Claire, WI and the Twin Cities so weekend trips (more travel). I also like to go to breweries and wineries all around Minnesota/Wisconsin (more travel again). During the summer months spending time in my kayak on the water is my happy place.

Where is your favorite dog friendly place to take your pups? 
I love the outdoors and I'm an avid walker. All year round I meet a friend and her 2 dogs every day at 6am and we walk at a pretty good clip for 45 minutes to an hour while the dogs run and play - it's good for me and good for the dogs. There are so many different beautiful trails in the area - I still haven't been to all of them!

Nyah
Do you have a favorite memory with one of your fosters? 

I have a lot of great memories, but I think my favorite is seeing when an extremely shy dog realizes that it’s in a safe place and so loved. Both Nyah and Phoebe were so scared the first day in my home. Seeing their transformation over just a few weeks was amazing.

Do you have a special ritual you do for your foster pups? 

Typically, I will take them shopping and let them pick out a toy of their choice. That toy goes with them to their new home.

Do you want to give a shout out to anyone in the rescue? 

Huge shout out to Laura, Amanda and Ashley. These women work tirelessly to keep MPBR running. Also, to everyone who volunteers with the rescue. Every single one of them make a difference in the dogs’ lives.



..................................................................................................................................................

Each month one of our Foster parents will receive a gift card as a thank you. This is our small way of showing appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have to this rescue. Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue is 100% volunteer based. Each dog we are able to save is a result of someone willing to open their home for us.

Are you interested in becoming a Foster with MPBR? Click here for more information. Can't foster/volunteer but want to help in another way? Help by donating next months gift card! Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment