Monday, February 3, 2020

2.5.20 Volunteer of the Month- Meet Julia!



December 2020 Volunteer of the Month- 

Meet Julia!


How did you find out about Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

I found out about Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue when I was looking to adopt a dog back in 2012. I did a lot of research on different breeds of dogs and decided to get a pittie. I adopted my first pittie, Jira (formally known as Cinder), in 2012. 

Why did you decide to volunteer for MPBR?

I started volunteering with MPBR because I really fell in love with organization through the process of adopting Jira. I really appreciated the time they took in making sure the dogs are going to reliable, great homes. It was about setting the dogs up for a great future in a loving home more than how many dogs could get pushed out the door. 

How long have you been volunteering with the rescue?

I’ve been volunteering with them now for close to 8 years. 

What was the last thing you volunteered for?

Lately, I have not long term fostered due to some life changes. I’ve mainly been volunteering with transporting things fosters need or requested. 


Do you have any pets of your own?
I have adopted 3 pups from the rescue, Kota, Jira and Reece. Kota passed away from cancer this last summer around the age of 10. Jira, 7, and Reece, 4, still keep me on my toes. 


How would your pets describe you?

I think my dogs would describe me as goofy and fun as well as reliable with expectations. 


Where is your favorite dog-friendly place to take your pups?

Jira is my go-go-go dog so we usually go walking in the city or hiking. If we go to dog friendly places it’s usually different Minneapolis breweries. Reece is fear-based/dog selective so we currently don’t go places with other dogs besides training. We’ve been working on some specific training the last year and are hoping to start going on short hikes this year with one or two other dogs. 

When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing?
When I’m not hanging out with my pups, I’m either at the gym, spending time outside, hanging out with friends or finding something new and fun to do around the cities. 

Ginny
Do you have a favorite memory that happened while you were volunteering?

Some of my favorite memories with the rescue is actually seeing how far the things we do reach outside of the events themselves. I have two memories that stick with me most. The first is with a foster I had named Ginny from the Harry Potter litter. I was fostering her so I could work with her on some behavior issues. A friend of a friend that I hardly ever see adopted her. They were the perfect fit. I hadn’t seen her in well over a year when he showed up with her at a mutual friend’s birthday party. She didn’t really seem to recognize me when she was taking in all of her surroundings. When I was leaving, I went to say goodbye to her and I could see it click and she lost it. Flopping around on her back full wiggle butt in my lap. It was awesome to see.

The second was talking to couple on vacation about the rescue and they mentioned how they had followed a story of an injured pittie for a year. They had been so invested in her story and were so excited when she started to walk again and was adopted. The dog they were talking about was our rescue’s pup, Emmie. We were on vacation 3 hours away and this couple lived 6 hours away. It was so cool to see how one pups story and our little rescue’s work could affect people so far away and change their views on the breed. 

Do you have any advice for current or future volunteers?

If I had any advice for current or future volunteers it would be keep your mind open and never stop learning. Every dog is different and something that might work for one dog might not be what another needs. 

Do you want to give anyone in MPBR a shout out?

My rescue shout out would be to Melissa Graunke. Thank you to all your help over the years with training ideas and being a great sound board with how to set up different dogs for success with consistency in training. And of course, all the help with Reece and his reactivity. You’re a rockstar!
................................................................................................................................................................

Each month an active volunteer is featured on our website & receives a gift card as a thank you. This is just a small way for us to show our appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have for this rescue. We are 100% volunteer based and we couldn’t do this without each and every one of our members 

Interested in volunteering? Check out some info here

If you’re interested in helping us with the donation to our volunteers, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment