Wednesday, July 31, 2019

7.31.19 June Volunteer of the Month- Angela



June 2019 Volunteer of the Month- 


Meet Angela!

Angela with her husband Andy & their dogs (Tucker & Shiloh)


How did you find out about Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

I was training a new associate at work and we got to talking about our love of dogs, pit bulls in particular, and she told me that she was/is a foster & volunteer for MPBR.  We became friends shortly after and I started going to the different events.  Once I was finally done with school, I decided to become an official volunteer.


Why did you decide to start volunteering for MPBR?

When my husband and I were ready to adopt a second dog, we met a Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard mix puppy named Han.  He was perfect and we wanted to adopt him so my husband called our homeowners insurance to see if they had any breed restrictions.  As it turned out, they had a very long list and Pit Bullls were on it.  I was so enraged that I was brought to tears.  I wasn’t only upset we couldn’t adopt Han, but more upset over the principle of it all.  I have always disagreed with breed restrictions and felt helpless at that point.  I decided to get more involved with educating the public about the breed and helping them any way I could. 


How long have you volunteered for the rescue?


I started in January 2019



Lil Smalls & Eddie
Do you have any pets?

Camaya
I have a few 😊 Three lovely cats: Camaya (16), Lil Smalls (11), Sir Edward Scissorclaws (9); a Mini-American Eskimo Shiloh (11) and Aussie/Boxer mix and friend of MPBR Tucker (3)






Where's your favorite dog friendly place to take your pup?


BadWeather Brewery in St Paul, MN


When not surrounded by dogs – what can you be found doing?

I enjoy going to concerts and camping. 
Do you have a favorite memory that happened while you were volunteering? 

Albus Dumbledog FKA Mikey
I volunteered at the booth during Pride this year and one of my old friends from high school walked up to check it all out.  Long story short, the dog that was schmoozing that day (Albus Dumbledog FKA Mikey) schmoozed his way into her heart and he found his forever home with one of my oldest and kindest friends!  It’s moments like that that make my heart so full!!

Do you have any advice for current or future volunteers? 

I wish I had not waited so long to become a volunteer.  Even if you think you don’t have a lot of time, there’s so many ways, both big and small, to help.  Just showing up to the adoption meet & greets to help answer questions is good!  The more people who show up to show off these pups, the better chances we can get the word out about how great these dogs really are!

..............................................................................................................................................................

Each month one of our foster pawrents receives a gift card as a thank you. This is our small way of showing appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have to this rescue. Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue is 100% volunteer based- no shelters here! Each dog we can save is because a foster is willing to open their home for us 💚 Interested in volunteering? Check out some info here. If you’re interested in helping us donate to our fosters, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment