Tuesday, April 7, 2020

4.7.20 Foster of the Month- Meet Stephanie




March 2020 FOSTER OF THE MONTH-

Meet Stephanie!




Autumn & Guess
Why did you start fostering for MPBR?

I have owned AKC Staffordshire Terriers for 20 years and I adopted my second dog from MPBR. I decided why not help more of these amazing dogs if I’m able to.

Who was your first foster?

Autumn.

Who is your current foster?

Guess.


How long have you been volunteering with Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

Since 2018.



When your friends/family find out you volunteer with MPBR, what do they say or ask?

They usually ask things like “How do I handle so many big dogs? How can I give them up? Do I help with the adoptions? Do they need a lot of training and exercise?” I don’t get as much negativity as I did many years ago. I think I have been a great advocate for the bully breed as all my friends, neighbors, families through my sons sports teams, and even my family who were scared of the breed now get to see, in action, just how awesome these dogs are and how they can coexist with all my animals just like any other breed.

Do you have any pets?

Yes, two pitties, a cat, a rabbit, a tortoise (who roams the house freely & even the yard during warmer months), 3 lizards, a hermit crab, and fish.

Goliath
When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing? 

My happy place is surrounding myself with my dogs. During warmer weather we are out in the yard making it pretty with flowers. This will be my second summer with a boat so I will be doing as much boating as possible once off quarantine. I can’t wait to teach the pups to swim!

Where is your favorite dog friendly place to take your pups? 

I like to take them to my son’s baseball games. I take my big guy to a mental health facility where I work.





Cider
Do you have a favorite memory with one of your fosters? 

I was super excited to have my very own Target dog (Cider) that was just cool but she was smarter than a trained IT Tech. I have different favorites for each foster I’ve had though. My current foster cracks me up. She is the biggest (appropriate) guard dog I’ve had. She (Guess) will talk & howl when she hears something, when she can’t see who it is right away, or when she just flat out wants your attention. It makes the whole family giggle. She thinks she is way bigger than she is.






Do you have a special ritual you do for your foster pups? 

I usually take all the pups on a walk to Chuck & Don's to sniff out a treat as a welcome gift. Then we usually stop there again to get exposure to other people, animals, and learn to walk on a leash as a pack.

Autumn (as a puppy)
New question submitted by our previous Foster of the Month: Which foster stole the biggest part of your heart and why? 

Autumn, she is now my princess. We fostered her for awhile and she was just not getting adopted. My family grew use to her being with us daily. My kids kept saying our other two dogs were already attached, it was Christmas time, and my Grandpa had just passed away; there was not a day that I cried alone. That little puppy just snuggled right up with me and gave me an abundance of kisses that I needed; it was like the pups just knew. I must say I agreed to adopt her initially because of my kids but she is now treated like the queen of the house. She is the perfect mix of awesome with just a splash of naughty.






Would you like to give a shout out to anyone in MPBR?

I would like to give a shout out to the whole MPBR community. I have been able to ask so many questions and have met so many kind dog lovers in one spot, it’s awesome. Laura, Ashley, and Corey have let me bug them the most to which I am thankful for. 


..................................................................................................................................................

Each month one of our Foster parents will receive a gift card as a thank you. This is our small way of showing appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have to this rescue. Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue is 100% volunteer based. Each dog we are able to save is a result of someone willing to open their home for us.

Are you interested in becoming a Foster with MPBR? Click here for more information. Can't foster/volunteer but want to help in another way? Help by donating next months gift card! Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment