Monday, September 13, 2021

9.14.21 Volunteer Highlight - Meet Jenn

 We are 100% volunteer based and we couldn’t do this without each and every one of our members 

Each quarter an active volunteer is featured on our website & receives a gift (or gift card) as a thank you, this quarter we'd like to say a HUGE Thank You to Jenn! This is just a small way for us to show our appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have for this rescue. Please read more about her below & reach out to us if you'd like to join our crew, we'd love to have you!


- Q2 Volunteer: Meet Jenn - 


There are a lot of great rescues in MN, why did you start volunteering specifically with Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

I have been involved with other rescues and was disheartened by the lack of energy put into being inclusive and with some of the practices of trying to hide pit bull type breeds by calling them "lab mixes". 

I really wanted to be involved in an organization that cared deeply about people from an assortment of identities and who would also embrace dogs for who they were and not try and call them something different. I found MPBR and the rest is history. 

Croc (back) hanging with temp-foster Gianna
What was the last thing you volunteered for? 

The last thing was to temp foster for a weekend. My dog, Croc loves getting to be around puppies and to help teach them new things- but she also likes it when those puppies leave and she gets her human back. Temping is a great household activity that we can all enjoy for a short time.


How long have you volunteered with MPBR? 

I have been volunteering since January 2021.





Do you have any pets of your own? 

I have one dog, Croc. I first met her when she was just a week old, and I was volunteering to bottle feed her since her mama passed. She made it clear to me that we belonged together and used all her puppy energy to woo me, and whisper in my ear that we belonged together. Every day since, she makes sure that I remember we were destined to be together. 

How would you say your pets describe you?

That's a tough one, and I think it depends on the day and maybe even down to the minute. Most of the time she would say that I am awesome and the person who tells her what's ok and what's not. I am clearly her hero when I kill a fly (her mortal inside enemy) or yell at annoying squirrels to stop eating our apples. She is also a big bossy pants so the second she thinks I may not be up for the task of being the alpha of the house, she offers to step in and take care of things. I feel our relationship is best described as two badass, brave, independent women who could spend time apart but choose to be together and touching the majority of the time. 

Where's a couple favorite places you like to go with your dog?

This summer we have been really big into biking, dog trailer and all. Anything off a trail or in biking range have been our hot spots. Some favorites are Forgotten Star Brewing, Barley John's Brew Pub, Long Lake Regional Park, and Bunker Hills. 

When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing?

I am a big reader and have been working to expand my range of book types. Each year I pick a new genre to explore. I am finishing up 2021 the year of romance novels, which will probably not have a lasting spot on my to read pile, but has been an interesting experience. I also volunteer at My Pit Bull is Family, an organization working to keep families together. I spend time outside and biking with my partner and Croc. As summer winds down, we will be approaching the season where I bake copious amounts of vegan cupcakes. 

Do you have a favorite memory of something that happened while you were volunteering?

My favorite solo volunteer activity has been to drive to Madison, WI to bring pups back to MN to their foster families. I love all things about driving and road trips. Getting to have some adorable co-pilots making their way to a new life makes the drive even better.

...........................................................................................................................................................


Interested in volunteering? Check out some info here

No comments:

Post a Comment