Tuesday, November 5, 2019

11.6.19 September Volunteer of the Month- Hannah



September 2019 Volunteer of the Month- 

Meet Hannah!



How did you find out about Minnesota Pit Bull Rescue?

I started following MPBR via Facebook when I started searching for local pit bull organizations I could volunteer with. I also met a friend at work who volunteered with the MPBR and got me started fostering for the first time.  

Why did you decide to volunteer for MPBR?

I started volunteering with the MPBR because I wanted to be part of the amazing pit bull community working toward a common goal of saving as many homeless pit bulls as possible. I’ve always loved pit bull type dogs and wanted to spend time and interact with people who felt the same. 

Stella
How long have you been volunteering with the rescue?

I started volunteering with MPBR in 2015 when I started fostering my first puppy - Stella (fka Rose) who I fostered failed after only a few days. After fostering her, I was hooked on helping the rescue any way I could!









What was the last thing you volunteered for?

The last volunteer activity I participated in was completing reference checks for adoption applications. I’ve done several of these over the years. These have been easy ways for me to stay involved with the rescue despite my busy schedule, even on weeknights. Other than reference checks, I’ve also volunteered at the Kissing Booth in February, driving for occasional transports, and a being a foster (both temp and full-time). My former fosters have been Rose (foster failed - now Stella), Raven (foster failed - still Raven), Rollie, Spree, Lucia, and Selah. 


Helping at an adoption event


Helping with a transport
Kissing Booth Event

Raven
Do you have any pets of your own?

Yes, I have two rescued cats (Annabelle and Peanut), as well as dogs - Stella and Raven - both adopted through MPBR. 
Raven & Stella

















How would your pets describe you?

Best person in the house to snuggle with!


Where is your favorite dog-friendly place to take your pups?

Crow Hassen Park in Rogers, MN

When you're not surrounded by dogs, what can you be found doing?

Spending time with my family. I love to hike. 

Do you have a favorite memory that happened while you were volunteering?

It’s difficult for me to narrow down to just one memory, but I can honestly say my favorite part about doing reference checks is hearing all of the wonderful things friends/family say about the potential adopters. It’s so heartwarming to hear about how many wonderful people there are in the world who love the pit bull breed as much as I do and are so excited to bring a new pit bull into their life to provide them a loving, forever home. I have loved getting to know such a wonderful group of people through the MPBR! 


Spree (foster) with Stella

Foster Pup, Spree w/ Stella
Stella & Raven w/ Selah (foster)


Do you have any advice for current or future volunteers?
Even if you don’t feel like you have a lot of time to give, there are still volunteer opportunities you can participate in! Reference checks are an easy way to stay connected with the rescue but also not having to give a lot of time. I live about an hour from the Twin Cities so getting to adoption events and other activities is challenging for me, but I’ve still managed to feel connected by helping process references, which is still a very important part of the rescue. 

You're right, Hannah! Reference checks are an essential part of the adoption process. Our pups can't go to the new homes without them. This is one of the easiest ways to help our rescue and the area where we frequently need the most help. 
................................................................................................................................................................

Each month an active volunteer is featured on our website & receives a gift card as a thank you. This is just a small way for us to show our appreciation for the dedication our volunteers have for this rescue. We are 100% volunteer based and we couldn’t do this without each and every one of our members 

Interested in volunteering? Check out some info here
If you’re interested in helping us with the donation to our volunteers, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment